Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Felix needs to realize he doesn't throw 97-98 anymore. Too many hitters sitting on pitches. When a guy hits the first pitch you throw for a homerun, he knows what's coming.

His fastball is below average now. His pitches used to be so good he could
    "Throw himself" out of innings. He needs to learn how to pitch, now that his stuff is average at best.
    Less is more, and he needs to start pitching backwards. Get away from the "we need establish the fastball" BS.

They should have traded him last year or the season before (hindsight is 20/20) when he still had some value. He's rapidly becoming a below average pitcher with no trade value. It may be time to release Felix. He's used up and not effective anymore.

Those are fighting words round these parts :141847_bnono:
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• I suspect they started Powell over Heredia because of the lefty-righty thing. Might not be the best way to do that, but there it is. That's why they're switching Valencia and Gamel between 2 and 7 in the lineup.

Not saying I agree with that idea. Hell, Gamel had great splits as of the end of June.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• You certainly don't win playoff berths in July, but you sure can work yourself out of one. I don't know what to make of this team. I was all aboard the hype train after they swept the Tigers, and now look where we are. One step forward, two steps back.

I don't want to throw the towel in on Felix, but yesterday I was wondering who we have a better chance winning with, Felix or Bergman. This team is going to have some tough decisions to make in the next month. Buy or sell? I think it's pretty clear that if we don't get at least one more quality starting pitcher, this team won't make the playoffs.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Game might already be over. Vargas has been good this season, we are going to need at least 5 runs if we want to win.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Your welcome
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Something happen to Segura?
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:Something happen to Segura?

Other than being awesome and hitting that HR to straight away CF, I think he's fine.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Something happen to Segura?

Other than being awesome and hitting that HR to straight away CF, I think he's fine.

OK cause I thought he got replaced by Motter at SS.

My bad,, must not have had my glasses on.. it said 3B for Motter. I was worried.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Royals are just the better team.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Is it that time of the year already? My annual, "Typical Mariners, the Season is over post?"

That certainly was a creative way to lose, getting to the best pitcher in the AL on the year for 6. only to stop scoring and then get caught from behind.

More runners left in scoring position and then a homer to lose.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• Gads are we just putrid, just another long year again, Whens the Hawks start?
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• The Mariners are such a loser franchise. We are the laughing stock of MLB. I say this every year, but make a list of the 5 worst sports franchises in the three major sports and you probably find the Mariners on that list.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• I'm not seeing the brotherhood i thought that would go on in the club house and dug out when Servais and Dipoto were hired. It's far too early to give up on them but they need to figure out the pitching because the offense is getting worn out physically AND mentally by having to score 5+ runs a game to win. Please, guys, just duplicate what KC did.

On a side note - It feels good to have Segura. The trade with ARZ worked well for both teams. It puts us in the spot light just a tad.
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• The modern day Seattle Mariners.....................we love getting to .500, but we are allergic to staying there.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Finally, a home win!

Cruz with 300 home runs. 3 run homer in the 8th to seal the win.

Paxton was dealing like we used to see.

A much cleaner game tonight.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I can't believe Gamel missed robbing that homer. We got rid of Aoki because of bad fielding....
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:I can't believe Gamel missed robbing that homer. We got rid of Aoki because of bad fielding....

Dude it looked like he jumped way early, and a few feet from the wall and actually helped tip that over. Good grief!

Alright Dyson! Sweet.
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Cishek warming up in the pen in a close game. When will our manager learn his lesson??
    Got a feeling "Cishek is gonna happen"!

....and the M's offense should have been hitting the A's starter all over the yard.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Why didn't Servais have Dyson steal? Or bunt him over? Late in the game. Put pressure on the other team. Get after it. That was just terrible managing
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:Why didn't Servais have Dyson steal? Or bunt him over? Late in the game. Put pressure on the other team. Get after it. That was just terrible managing

Especially with Z being so ice cold, why not have him bunt?

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• This year we have the offense but the Pitching with age and injuries has been a nightmare.
    We have done way better than we should be with the pitching problem(s).
    Expecting playoffs with said problem is expecting too much.
    There is just things you cannot control such as injuries.
    I'm ok and give this team a pass for that reason.
    GO HAWKS!!!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:Why didn't Servais have Dyson steal? Or bunt him over? Late in the game. Put pressure on the other team. Get after it. That was just terrible managing

Especially with Z being so ice cold, why not have him bunt?

Agreed. There's no reason why a struggling hitter can't be called on to sacrifice-even a power hitter like Z. And of course Servais could've had Dyson steal-I thought that's why we signed him for situations like this.

Servais and Dipoto also need to think about removing Diaz from the closer role for a little while. Not a permanent move but give him a breather and allow him to work on things in lower pressure situations. He's just been struggling for too long now and it's cost us some games. Give Vincent a chance for the time being as he's been the most consistent reliever the past 2 years and I don't care that he tops out at 91-he gets groundballs, keeps the ball low and is reliable. We've lost something like 9 out of 11 and some changes are in order before it's too late.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Diaz needs to learn another pitch, and use it frequently. One of his 2 pitches (fastball or slider) always seems to be off and hitters are sitting on pitches.

He also needs to learn to quick fix his mechanics when they get out of whack, which seems to be often lately. You can tell when he is not finishing his pitches as they usually tail out of the strikezone. Young guy, great arm, but he has a lot to work on still.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Today almost feels like a must win. You can't lose 3 out of 4 at home to a bad Oakland team. Really curious to see how Felix looks after his past outing.

I thought Paxton looked great a couple nights ago. He was constantly hitting the high 90's in the middle and late innings.

Andrew Moore might be our second best pitcher right now. I really like what I see from him. I think at one point last night he had thrown a first pitch strike to the first 18 batters he faced. There was little to no chance Gamel was going to catch that HR. He jumped and it hit the very back end of his glove. Diaz made a huge mistake on the pitch the pitch that gave Oakland the lead. You can't leave a fastball in the middle of the zone when you are up 0-2 on the count. Everything with him is mental. Once Rajai Davis got on base, I thought he got a little rattled. He must have thrown over to first base at least 7 times. I'm not too worried about Diaz, because he still has electric stuff and at some point he has to break out of this slump.

We really screwed up this month, we had a chance to become major players in the trade market and wildcard standings and we fell flat on our face. As much as I want to believe in this team, I kind of think we are a .500 team. You can only win so much when you have such inconsistent starting pitching. Felix looks like a below average starting pitcher. While Gavilgio has been good, are teams starting to figure him out? Until the team gets another starting pitcher, I don't see us making a run at the playoffs. Right now we are like an NFL team that has a great passing offense, but no rushing attack or defense, you can only win so much with that formula. We need to become a more complete team.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Well, at least they finish on a bit of a high note. Nice win, six scoreless from Felix, pretty solid bullpen (except for Ski, what's up with him?), decent offense. I wonder if Cruz was feeling that "300" milestone hanging over him in June. I lot of players will choke a bit when a major event like that comes up. Now that he finally got it, he hit another couple this week. He's still playing on one leg, but he was never gonna be a speedster anyway.

But, yeah, we should have taken 3 from Oakland, at least, especially at the Safe. :34853_doh:

I don't think it's just Diaz with the mental thing. We seem to get into those places where the whole offense starts taking games off. Can't get into and survive a pennant race with that happening. They try to talk like Seagar is getting there, but he doesn't look all that comfortable at the plate yet.

Segura is one of the best pickups in team history, I think. He's been pretty amazing when he's out there.

Now for some rest. I probably won't bother with the Allstar game.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Seattle's bullpen coach, Mike Hampton, resigned after yesterday's game.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Anyone think the balls in the HR derby are juiced? LOL
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Sure they are.The pitchers know this.I guess it's better than letting people juice themselves up.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Seahaaaawks wrote:Anyone think the balls in the HR derby are juiced? LOL

They are and have been for awhile. They were juiced when the all star game was here in 2001 (I went to it) , they freely admitted it and were using "special homerun derby" baseballs and saw one of them for myself.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Former Mariners Smoak and Jason Vargas in the ASG. Always "nice" to see former M's excel.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Way to go Cano! Great ASG this year with outstanding pitching all around and nice to see it go extra innings. Clutch hr by Robbie to win it and get the MVP...and a new Corvette and crystal bat.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:Way to go Cano! Great ASG this year with outstanding pitching all around and nice to see it go extra innings. Clutch hr by Robbie to win it and get the MVP...and a new Corvette and crystal bat.

Funny tweet I saw tonight that said, "sadly this is like the 3rd best moment in M's history." I can't really argue.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• Refuse to Lose, Sodo Mojo, ASG MVP
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

• [quote="Threedee"]Refuse to Lose, Sodo Mojo, ASG MVP[/quote

LOL come on now. Dont forget Jr winning all those home run derbys with his hat on backwards!
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• Here's hoping for a better 2nd half.
    Playoff run please.

ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

• CPHawk wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:Way to go Cano! Great ASG this year with outstanding pitching all around and nice to see it go extra innings. Clutch hr by Robbie to win it and get the MVP...and a new Corvette and crystal bat.

Funny tweet I saw tonight that said, "sadly this is like the 3rd best moment in M's history." I can't really argue.

Come on...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:Way to go Cano! Great ASG this year with outstanding pitching all around and nice to see it go extra innings. Clutch hr by Robbie to win it and get the MVP...and a new Corvette and crystal bat.

Come on...

Its true though...
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• Ok lets go out and beat the White sox. they've had our number it seems for years. But they just pulled the cork on their season trading Ace Jose Quintana to the Cubs. Which is nice cause obviously we don't have to face him, tough lefties eat our lunch but Hopefully that also deflates them
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• gowazzu02 wrote:Ok lets go out and beat the White sox. they've had our number it seems for years. But they just pulled the cork on their season trading Ace Jose Quintana to the Cubs. Which is nice cause obviously we don't have to face him, tough lefties eat our lunch but Hopefully that also deflates them

All you have to do to beat the White Sox is to dine with their mobster overlords.
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

• Good for the M's..The trade was great for the Cubs and Sox..The two top players the Cubs traded- I saw them play in South Bend ..I hope the M's can buiild up their Minors to make these kind of trades.
    Helps the M's as said in above post.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:

Come on...

Its true though...

Nah.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• I was happy to See the M's win as the game was on local tv.Felix was decent and Cruz hit a bomb to save the day.
    I was not so excited to see Ceshik but he survived .Hey it's a win!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Can we do it?

:snack:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• 4 in a row now. Gritty win, down 5-0 early. Looking pretty decent. Onto Houston for a tough series then a nice homestand.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• just the win they needed heading into the toughest stretch of the season
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:Can we do it?

:snack:

Along about the 5th inning, I thought I jinxed them. :rofl:

Nice series. Now the Sox are the worst team in the league, but even with that it is tough to sweep.

Tough 4 games in Houston coming up.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Nice to see Cruz, bringing the boom once again.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Don't get the fascination with bringing in Cishek in close games.
    You are just asking for a blown lead.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Just saw a tweet that the M's bullpen has the lowest era in the majors over the last 48 games. That's hard to believe for some reason.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Heluva game tonight! If we make the playoffs, this might just be the statement game we look back on.

Great D, great O, and pitching just good enough. Took pretty much everything the 'Stros have got and pulled it off.

:2thumbs:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:23 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information