Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Seattle has called up Gordon Beckham to take Cano's roster spot.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Felix pitched like a donkey’s arse yesterday. Yes he got the win but he definitely tried to let the Tigers back in it. Actually he hasn’t been very good this season. His era is way up. Disappointing that when the team is playing relatively well, he stinks.

Felix has been done for two yrs now. He is finished. I love him but he is done.

Man ..Sucks to face reality but time is unbeatable
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Felix pitched like a donkey’s arse yesterday. Yes he got the win but he definitely tried to let the Tigers back in it. Actually he hasn’t been very good this season. His era is way up. Disappointing that when the team is playing relatively well, he stinks.

Felix has been done for two yrs now. He is finished. I love him but he is done.

Man ..Sucks to face reality but time is unbeatable

Fully agree but he is starting to be a sore spot. 5.45+ era. I mean he fits in this yr lol.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Nice 1-0 win against a Twins team that was playing well...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Nice win last night.

Tough game today as we will travel two times in as many days. Very favorable home stand against two weaker teams. I'm a little worried about our lineup without Cano, but we still have plenty of offense.

Yeah Felix is probably our worst pitcher in the rotation. I still can't believe they brought back the Kings Court. If he continues to struggle, will the M's consider yanking him or cutting ties? I doubt the Mariners have the guts to do it. The Seahawks would just cut him like they did with Sherman, but this is the Mariners we are talking about.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• .. AND Cano hits just keep coming.. this will really really suck if true.

BREAKING NEWS: According to off the record sources and non-official reports, dominican All-Star Robinson Cano will be suspended for Steroid Use, could be announced today.#ZDeportes @z101digital @ZDeportes
    10:09 AM - May 15, 2018

644 people are talking about this
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Can he technically start his suspension during his injury? Because he is likely going to miss a decent chunk of those games anyways. Either way this sucks and doesn't shock me. Curious to see what he has to say.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Bobblehead wrote:.. AND Cano hits just keep coming.. this will really really suck if true.

BREAKING NEWS: According to off the record sources and non-official reports, dominican All-Star Robinson Cano will be suspended for Steroid Use, could be announced today.#ZDeportes @z101digital @ZDeportes

It's not steroids. His sample tested positive for Furosemide, which is a diuretic.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy wrote:

Why would he be ineligible for the postseason?
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Pretty crap news on Cano, that's for sure.

At least he's injured so that will eat about half the suspension? :229031_shrug:
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:

Why would he be ineligible for the postseason?

I think it was part of the 2014 CBA, it's so suspended players can't come back and either have their games count during the post season, or affect the post season.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• With this new development, I think there's a much greater chance that Dee goes to 2nd.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Disappointing news to be sure. :34853_doh:

Not going to jump on the "Dee back to 2d" train just yet. We don't have someone with his speed to replace him in center. Beckham is a vet we just called up. I say let him work it out there for a few games. Cano might be done for good after this and I'm not sure how I feel about that. This season is pretty much done for him. Long term, he'd be in the pee test line the rest of his life anyway.

We know that Haniger can do well at the top of the order, so minimal disruption to the batting order from this.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Bobblehead wrote:With this new development, I think there's a much greater chance that Dee goes to 2nd.

We've got Gordon until 2021, not sure if Servais and the M's want to disrupt his development at CF with a temporary move back to 2B, even if it will be for most of this season now. Especially considering how well he's playing in CF.

Cano will be back later in the year, no reason to disrupt two positions temporarily.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Does no one believe in Kyle Lewis? I thought he was drafted to be the CF of the future here. I know his knee is pretty banged up, but still
    Last edited by Thepeelsessions on Tue May 15, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• SeatownJay wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:.. AND Cano hits just keep coming.. this will really really suck if true.

It's not steroids. His sample tested positive for Furosemide, which is a diuretic.

PED/Steroids//It's cheating.. Plain and simple.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Maybe they can move Juan Nicasio to 2B to fill in while Cano is out. We know that Juan can't pitch...so why not try him there.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• Dee will be switching back to 2B. Just heard on 710.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:Dee will be switching back to 2B. Just heard on 710.
    I like it! So who will they eventually put in CF? Heredia? Call me crazy, but I think they have some good options coming. Maybe not right away, but definitely for the future. SS Bryson Brigman and 2B Donnie Walton, both with A Modesto. OF John Andreoli with Tacoma. All of these guys are producing at the plate, on the field, and on the base paths. Sure, it's on the minors, but that's how guys get into the bigs, by producing in the minors. Isn't Segura an OF by trade? That opens s lot of options. Plus, I'm still high on Kyle Lewis. I just hope his knee isn't degenerative.

Cano is great and all, but at his age, with how much is left on his ridiculous contract, and now this.....Personally, I hope they can find a way to get out of it. The Ms have some promising youth that should have a chance to play. Cano hasn't exactly been a game changer since he's been here.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• We simply have better depth in the OF then the infield.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• This W, L, W, L stuff is getting old so If they could pick it up tonight that would be great.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• There we go. Seager damn near hitting his 2nd grand slam of the year. Instead a 3 RBI double.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Oh my GOSH!!! Nicasio is this years Cishek. Send him down already my goodness how many games has he blown in the last month? 4? :pukeface:
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Seahaaaawks wrote:Oh my GOSH!!! Nicasio is this years Cishek. Send him down already my goodness how many games has he blown in the last month? 4? :pukeface:

He should definitely not be pitching in close games at this point.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    Seahaaaawks wrote:Oh my GOSH!!! Nicasio is this years Cishek. Send him down already my goodness how many games has he blown in the last month? 4? :pukeface:

He should definitely not be pitching in close games at this point.
    Yeah, there's absolutely no logic behind this move.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• SeatownJay wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:.. AND Cano hits just keep coming.. this will really really suck if true.

Furosemide is used to mask other drugs in his system. It’s a water pill used to create more urine to flush your system. Also used for high blood pressure. But he didn’t say why he was taking a banned substance. Plus there are plenty of high blood meds approved by mlb.

Any roid user will tell you that furosemide is the best to hide ped’s in urine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If .NET did not exist I would get so much more work done during the day!
    HawkinNY
    NET Starter

• Nice walk off win last night in the 11th. Offense still fights for victories even after watching shitty starting and relief pitching day in and day out.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

• TransGenderHawkFan wrote:Nice walk off win last night in the 11th. Offense still fights for victories even after watching shitty starting and relief pitching day in and day out.

They just pitched a 4 hit shutout the night before. Plus that whole no-hitter thing last week.

Would be nice to get some consistency, however. The "big inning" has cost them a few games lately.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    TransGenderHawkFan wrote:Nice walk off win last night in the 11th. Offense still fights for victories even after watching shitty starting and relief pitching day in and day out.

They just pitched a 4 hit shutout the night before. Plus that whole no-hitter thing last week.

Would be nice to get some consistency, however. The "big inning" has cost them a few games lately.

Those were great surprises, but two games proves my point more than yours. The only consistency has been consistently bad.

Paxton has been the only decent pitcher. Maybe LeBlanc will continue to surprise?
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

• TransGenderHawkFan wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    TransGenderHawkFan wrote:Nice walk off win last night in the 11th. Offense still fights for victories even after watching shitty starting and relief pitching day in and day out.

Those were great surprises, but two games proves my point more than yours. The only consistency has been consistently bad.

Paxton has been the only decent pitcher. Maybe LeBlanc will continue to surprise?

It's not "that bad" (I don't talk baseball much, so could be off here)

Seattle's team ERA is 10th in the AL, 7th in Runs allowed and 1/2 a run from 5th. They are 5th in BBs, 5th in Ks and 9th in Batting Average. They are 11th in quality starts (only 14) and first in Saves.... Pitching is 5/6 in Total bases, Hits, Doubles and HRs. Therein probably lies the problem

They are 7th in total offense.

They have the 5th best record in the AL. I'd say this team's strengths are its bullpen, defense and offense. Starting pitching is 10th, just below league average.

They are consistently mediocre, hurt by the big inning, typically from the starter, like last night and much of the detroit series. They need a starting pitcher and a relief pitcher and could be special.

Do they need to replace Cano though? is the offense sustainable without him?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Am I the one who doesn't know how people are legitimately claiming interference in the 9th? Maybe people are just emotional about the Cano thing but the batter ran in foul territory past the bag and didn't swerve in front of Diaz or anything like that... Diaz was just slow to react and they made a brain fart forgetting about the runner until it was too late
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• The pitching is bad. The era last i looked was 24th in the mlb. Uncle si you said 10th in era in the AL which is out of 15 teams.

The hitting is top 10 and pitching is bottom 10. It really reminds me of the 1990s Seattle Mariners. Juan is turned into Bobby Ayala. Hopefully paxton turns into randy. Lol

Im sad about cano. He seems like a good guy and honestly ped use bothered me more when i was younger but as a adult im not dumb to think most took something at least once as they grew up.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:
    TransGenderHawkFan wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Seattle's team ERA is 10th in the AL, 7th in Runs allowed and 1/2 a run from 5th. They are 5th in BBs, 5th in Ks and 9th in Batting Average. They are 11th in quality starts (only 14) and first in Saves.... Pitching is 5/6 in Total bases, Hits, Doubles and HRs. Therein probably lies the problem

They have the 5th best record in the AL. I'd say this team's strengths are its bullpen, defense and offense. Starting pitching is 10th, just below league average.

They are consistently mediocre, hurt by the big inning, typically from the starter, like last night and much of the detroit series. They need a starting pitcher and a relief pitcher and could be special.

Yes the starting pitching is the downfall. We have some good bullpen guys but also some crappy bullpen guys. The question about cano is more on his leadership. I think this yrs offense is very good even without him. I think the leadership is what they will miss.

Positive notes:

The mariners now get $12 million more to spend this yr. The other one is what a job by the boys to fight back after the news broke.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Probably two quality starters, one of them at least a 2, and a replacement for Nicasio. Something isn't right with him.

There are lies, damn lies, and then their are statistics. Mariners have only a +7 run differential which is indicative of the offense bailing the pitching out and also getting blown out.

Mediocre pitching will likely get the Mariners either close to the playoffs, or in, where they will be obliterated by teams with above average staffs. Houston shut our offense down. While their staff is exceptional, there will not be a lot of easier staffs to face once there.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

• Detroit is actually a team that I would discuss starting pitching with. They have a couple of starters that would be perfect for the Mariners, and they are on the downswing.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

• Thepeelsessions wrote:Does no one believe in Kyle Lewis? I thought he was drafted to be the CF of the future here. I know his knee is pretty banged up, but still

The guy is not ready. He was in rookie-A ball before he got hurt (I think), missed most of last year and is coming off of a very severe injury. He is probably still a couple of years away at best.

As for Cano, he is an idiot for using PED’s.
    Last edited by Sports Hernia on Wed May 16, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

I think Haniger will be phenomenal at the 3 so we don't lose there. I think Mitch was miscast at 6. Dee is a gold glove 2nd baseman, and we have an abundance of OF's. Losing Cano was probably the best case scenario if we had to lose a player.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

• With the new found money from the Cano suspension, I'd like to see us make a move for a starting pitcher sooner than later. I know everyone waits til the deadline, but is there a way to get ahead of the curve. This team needs a great starter now if they want to compete for the playoffs. Add Cano to the long list of great MLB players who were on the juice.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Who though could we get and we don't have prospects to give up in a non existent farm to get them...or do we?

Are we likely to see Kyle Lewis play this season in the majors?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Streaming on Facebook now. Crappy quality, but :229031_shrug:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I dont have Facebook and this is dumb to put it on it.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• So Servais doesn't start Beckham today who had 2 hits last night and doesn't start Heredia who had the walk off hit last night. Every damn day the line up is different. I don't get it.

Another loss on Servais. Freitas lets a strike bounce of his glove which started Texas' 4 run burst. Seager's homer should have tied it at 1-1. Having Freitas be catcher and Zunino DH is dumb. We don't need both them in the line up. Should have had Heredia DH, Zunino at catcher, and Beckham at 2nd.

M's won't win a lot of games with Zunino, Freitas, and Romine all starting. Those guys just don't get on base, but at least we get a great defensive catcher with Zunino (if he starts).
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• So to make room for Bergman, Goeddel was DFA'd? Are you kidding me? He was quickly becoming a reliable arm in the pen. 1.23 ERA over 7.1 innings while he was here. Yet, Zep, Altavilla, and Nicasio.....NICASIO are still in town. Plus, how is Casey Lawrence still on the 40 man roster. This is ridiculous.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 12:57 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information