Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

UW Husky Basketball Thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:38 am
  • Keatts is no longer an option, he was hired by NC St yesterday. I really think he would have been a great fit here, but probably wasn't a realistic option as he seems like an east coast guy.

I think TJ Otzelberger is a very realistic option. He has ties to the school and can recruit the local kids.

My ideal hire would be Archie Miller, but I'm not sure how realistic it is. He will get offers from better schools. Might come down to how much money we can offer. Jen recently said money won't be an option and we can offer somewhere between $2 and $3 million.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:43 pm
  • Would guys like Archie Miller or Randy Bennett, et all consider UW? Basketball will never be the #1 sport at UW. This a primarily a football school. The colleges they are at Dayton and St. Mary's are basketball based schools. Would the money be enough to get them? They could be happy with where they are at. The schools they are at currently compete at a higher level than UW (meaning they are better). Each year they are in the tourney at the D1 level. So that's not a really a compelling factor. It's sort of like Mark Few not wanting to leave Gonzaga. Why would they?

UW is just not attractive enough for some of these coaches. Oregon got lucky they got Altman. Maybe the Huskies get that lucky but I highly doubt it. They will most likely end up with someone like former UW coaches Andy Russo, Lynn Nance, or Bob Bender. That won't be a good direction for the program. Well I guess we'll have to see what Marge Simpson....er Jennifer Cohen has in store for the program.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:19 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Would guys like Archie Miller or Randy Bennett, et all consider UW? Basketball will never be the #1 sport at UW. This a primarily a football school. The colleges they are at Dayton and St. Mary's are basketball based schools. Would the money be enough to get them? They could be happy with where they are at. The schools they are at currently compete at a higher level than UW (meaning they are better). Each year they are in the tourney at the D1 level. So that's not a really a compelling factor. It's sort of like Mark Few not wanting to leave Gonzaga. Why would they?

UW is just not attractive enough for some of these coaches. Oregon got lucky they got Altman. Maybe the Huskies get that lucky but I highly doubt it. They will most likely end up with someone like former UW coaches Andy Russo, Lynn Nance, or Bob Bender. That won't be a good direction for the program. Well I guess we'll have to see what Marge Simpson....er Jennifer Cohen has in store for the program.

We are somewhere in the middle. We aren't an elite option like a UCLA or Indiana, but we are better than a lot of other schools. Salary and local recruiting are the two things UW can hang their hat on. I think the Pac-12 also benefits UW, Arizona and UCLA are the only two big names in the conference when it comes to basketball. Whereas if you take a job at a program like Clemson or Virginia Tech it is very hard to make any ground. If you rank all the Pac-12 programs, UW is easily in the top 5, I'd put us only behind Arizona, UCLA and Oregon. The only thing UW doesn't have is the practice facilities. If they can offer $2-$3 million, a good coach will come here. We can do better than Russo, Nance and Bender. UW hoops isn't what it was 20-30 years ago.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:54 am
  • Mike Hopkins it is.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:01 am
  • Interesting. I wonder if that now means we are married to the 2-3
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:37 am
  • My first reaction was....who? The more I read and hear about him, the more I like the hire. Here's what I've heard.

He was expected to succeed Jim Boeheim after he retires next year.

According to most Cuse fans, he has been running the Syracuse program for the past several years while Boeheim serves as more of a head figure. Cuse fans are very upset and saying this is a great hire for UW. He is very highly thought of, lots of respect from east coast guys.

He is a west coast guy. I'm guessing he wanted to move closer to home and start something new, rather than trying to follow a legend at Syracuse.

Sounds like he will bring in USC assistant Jason Hart. Also hearing he will likely bring in Cal assistant, Tim O'Toole. I'd expect him to bring in Dollar or Conroy to recruit the local kids.

Sounds like Boeheim will stay longer. If he does retire next year, very unlikely Hopkins would jump ship after only one year. He has been at Cuse for 20 years, why leave for one year and then go back after being there that long. I'm sure Cuse will come calling if Boeheim retires in 4-5 years, but I honestly don't think he goes back.

To answer Tical, he is not married to the 2-3. Just listened to podcast with a Cuse insider who said that he was going to switch some things up at Cuse when/if he took over as the head coach. He won't run the 2-3 zone for the full 40 minutes like they do now, but he will obviously use it.
    Last edited by Hawk-Lock on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:52 am
  • If Boeheim stays a little longer than initially thought it also gives Hopkins a couple years to prove himself as head coach, and if he's successful, he'll be a top candidate for the Syracuse job anyway if that's the one he's always wanted.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:54 am
  • It's one big meh from me
    GREEDY PUNK PAUL ALLEN, THIS LOSS IS ON YOU.
    "I don't give a crap WHAT you gotta pay, Kam is worth it and I don't want to lose a shot at another SB cuz you - a freaking BILLIONAIRE, are cheapskating Kam over a freaking $900,000.
    You cheapskate."
    SalishHawkFan SEP 13, 2015 1:47 PM
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:00 pm
  • Yeah I think being from Cali played into the decision. A big west coast school desperate for getting back into the tourney on a regular basis like UW is damn attractive. Let's hope he's the Chris Petersen of UW basketball in terms of turning the culture around and most importantly WINNING again. I'm willing to bet they asked Few just for the heck of it and he instantly but politely turned it down. Few would barf at the idea of being a coach in Seattle XD
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:35 pm
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:It's one big meh from me

Tough crowd. I'm sure Coach K and Bill Self strongly considered.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:36 pm
  • :vodka:
    Crizilla wrote:Yeah I think being from Cali played into the decision. A big west coast school desperate for getting back into the tourney on a regular basis like UW is damn attractive. Let's hope he's the Chris Petersen of UW basketball in terms of turning the culture around and most importantly WINNING again. I'm willing to bet they asked Few just for the heck of it and he instantly but politely turned it down. Few would barf at the idea of being a coach in Seattle XD

Much like Seattle would barf at the thought of The Weasel coming here.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:14 pm
  • Tical21 wrote::vodka:
    Crizilla wrote:Yeah I think being from Cali played into the decision. A big west coast school desperate for getting back into the tourney on a regular basis like UW is damn attractive. Let's hope he's the Chris Petersen of UW basketball in terms of turning the culture around and most importantly WINNING again. I'm willing to bet they asked Few just for the heck of it and he instantly but politely turned it down. Few would barf at the idea of being a coach in Seattle XD

Agreed. They'd rather have Romar and lose.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:06 pm
  • Damn straight.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:08 pm
  • From an outsiders view, I thought UW would get someone with some proven experience. Someone like Archie Miller, or Hurley from Rhode Island, or the Middle Tennessee coach. This hire might be great, idk, but to say he's a west coast guy seems to be a stretch. Yeah he's from Cali, but he's been in New York since he was 18, so I'd guess most of those ties are gone by now. It seems to me the UW was so desperate to try and keep the class together, they didn't want to wait for experienced coaches to get done with their tournament runs, and instead settled for someone who was available right now.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:21 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:It's one big meh from me

Tough crowd. I'm sure Coach K and Bill Self strongly considered.

Yeah cuz thats who I was pulling for... :roll:

Sorry that I don't get blinded by the bright orange syracuse lights
    "I don't give a crap WHAT you gotta pay, Kam is worth it and I don't want to lose a shot at another SB cuz you - a freaking BILLIONAIRE, are cheapskating Kam over a freaking $900,000.
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:23 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:
    Tical21 wrote::vodka:

Agreed. They'd rather have Romar and lose.

Um no, Few was never an option. No call from UW to Mark Few.
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:44 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:Interesting. I wonder if that now means we are married to the 2-3

Nope
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:30 pm
  • I asked a Cuse forum a few questions on him, all they had were good things to say about him. You can read it here. These are the people that know him best.

https://syracusefan.com/threads/questio ... an.116720/

He passes every test with flying colors except the obvious one, head coaching. Cohen rolled the dice on hiring someone with no head coaching experience. We will find out in a few years if this was a good hire or not. For now, I'm on board with Hopkins.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:42 pm
  • The only thing that gives me pause is I read that he used to recruit then use Boeheim to close. He ain't gonna be able to use Jimmy to close here. Excited to hear what Mitch has to say on Monday.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:02 pm
  • Hopkins coached on the USA team under Coach K. Here is what he had to say.

Jay Wright
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:43 am
  • Like the hire..The 2-3 is great when used as a switch up in certain situations..All coaches have to start somewhere
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:56 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:Like the hire..The 2-3 is great when used as a switch up in certain situations..All coaches have to start somewhere

I like the hire as well.

I was hoping Cohen went outside the UW/local comfort zone and went after someone like Hopkins. By all reports, he's a tireless recruiter and will bust his ass 24/7. Exactly what this program needs.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:26 pm
  • I just got back from a physical therapy appointment and heard the news on the way there that Mike Hopkins had been hired. Like most of you I'm sure, my very first reaction was -- WHO?!? It came as a real shock to see Jen Cohen appear to hire a guy totally out of the blue -- someone with ZERO head coaching experience.

On the way back from PT, I was listening to Softy's show and heard a couple of very interesting interviews back to back regarding Mike Hopkins. There's no podcast link as of yet, as he JUST got finished doing there ... but I've got to say that after listening to these interviews I'm very intrigued and actually excited about the hire of Mike Hopkins.

The first interview I listened to was with SI's Mike Thamel, who absolutely GUSHED about Mike Hopkins and thinks Washington made a real slam dunk of a hire. Thamel said that Hopkins has been pretty much considered the best assistant coach in the country for the last 10 years or so. He said that guys who are really in the know (really in the loop) about college basketball see this as a great hire. Hopkins has been interviewed several times (including by USC) and has turned down a lot of coaching jobs. He said that he's a West Coast guy, as he's originally from Laguna Hills, California. He has been the one who has done the majority of the recruiting there at Syracuse for the past several years ... and in essence done the lion's share of the coaching. He's not taken any jobs, as he's been considered the heir apparent to Boehim for many years. So, he's basically been waiting in the wings there for him to retire. He called him an extremely energetic and passionate coach -- one who is very personable and makes good connections with players. He LOVED the hire and thinks that UW fans should give him a chance.

The second interview (which was just as intriguing) was with former Syracuse Athletic Director Daryl Gross. Gross also went on and on about how much he liked Hopkins as well. He reiterated a lot of Thamel's points and expanded upon them. He went on to again talk about Hopkin's tireless energy, enthusiasm, and passion ... and my mind immediately thought -- Pete Carroll. Well, Gross went on to talk about Pete Carroll, as he was working at USC at the time Carroll was hired by the University. In fact, he went on to take credit for USC's hiring of Pete Carroll (Softy questioned him on this at this point and he simply said, "Hey, don't take my word for it. You just ask Pete the next time you see him, OK?"). He equated Hopkins to Pete Carroll, saying that he has that exact same kind of passion and energy ... and that guys like playing for Hopkins. He went on to add that at the time Carroll was hired by USC, there were a lot of people really skeptical about that hire as well. He added some details regarding Hopkins' interview with USC and said that he was probably the one who screwed up the job for him (Gross was of course the AD at Syracuse at the time). When asked why, he said it was because he told USC (I'm paraphrasing here), "You're getting a great guy in Hopkins. In fact, in a couple of years or so, I'm going to try to hire him back from you."

Both guys couldn't say enough good things about Hopkins.

Edit to Add: After both of these interviews, Softy remarked that he'd tried, but couldn't find anyone who had anything bad/negative to say about Mike Hopkins. Softy: "Believe me if I could find someone out there who did [had something bad to say about him], I'd put him on the air. I can't find that guy."

We'll see how things eventually shake out in terms of recruiting and once the games actually start, but after listening to both of those interviews consider me as one who is pretty positive about this hire. Kudos to Jen Cohen for really doing her homework and not just making a political hire -- when doing so would have been all so easy to do.

UPDATE ... for those who are interested, KJR finally has the link posted for these interviews. They're definitely worth a listen. Good stuff ...
    link to interviews:
    https://www.iheart.com/show/139-Dave-Softy-Mahler/?episode_id=28051662
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:13 pm
  • I live 30 minutes from the SU campus.
    MHop is a good hire.
    Daryl Gross is a buffoon.
    SU fans are sorry to see MHop go.
    SU fans couldn't wait to get rid of Gross. He never should have been hired here.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:28 pm
  • Good post Scanner. Pretty similar reaction from me when I heard about the hire.

Sounds like Conroy will be retained. Still working things out with a couple other assistants.

Blake Harris has been granted his release, and will restart the process of finding a school. Hop will talk to him and try to presuade him that UW is still the school for him. From my understanding, Harris was here for Romar.

From what I know, Porter Jr has not yet asked for his release, but is fully expected to at some point. Until I hear otherwise, we have a chance.

Diarra sounds open to staying.

Sounds like the two Garfiled kids, Davis and Nowell will stay.

Hop made his first offer as UW head coach yesterday, to a kid named Spencer Freedman, who plays for his alma mater, Mater Dei HS. I think we will see more players like this recruited at UW. Romar always went for length, size and athleticism. This kid doesn't look very athletic, but looks highly skilled. IMO, UW has lacked this type of player the past several years. A high IQ kid, someone like Payton Pritchard who plays for Oregon. Reminds me a little of John Stockton, but with some flash. I posted his video below. The big man in the video that Freedman is playing with is Bol Bol, expect Hop to go after him too. He is Manute Bol's son.

Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:03 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Good post Scanner. Pretty similar reaction from me when I heard about the hire.

Sounds like Conroy will be retained. Still working things out with a couple other assistants.

Blake Harris has been granted his release, and will restart the process of finding a school. Hop will talk to him and try to presuade him that UW is still the school for him. From my understanding, Harris was here for Romar.

From what I know, Porter Jr has not yet asked for his release, but is fully expected to at some point. Until I hear otherwise, we have a chance.

Hop made his first offer as UW head coach yesterday, to a kid named Spencer Freedman, who plays for his alma mater, Mater Dei HS. I think we will see more players like this recruited at UW. Romar always went for length, size and athleticism. This kid doesn't look very athletic, but looks highly skilled. IMO, UW has lacked this type of player the past several years. A high IQ kid, someone like Payton Pritchard who plays for Oregon. Reminds me a little of John Stockton, but with some flash. I posted his video below. The big man in the video that Freedman is playing with is Bol Bol, expect Hop to go after him too. He is Manute Bol's son.

I don't think Porter Jr has to ask for any release, since he never signed anything with UW.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:31 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Good post Scanner. Pretty similar reaction from me when I heard about the hire.

I like this kid ..He can see the floor really well..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:11 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:History is not on your side:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/20/c ... e-hopkins/

Look ... I get it. I get the skepticism. At the same time though, 3 cases is a very small sample size - I wouldn't put a ton of stock in that. By the same token, there was a ton of criticism when Pete Carroll was hired by USC. There was a lot of, "What the heck are you guys doing hiring a guy who was fired not just once ... but TWICE in the NFL? It's clear he can't coach. What are you guys thinking?"

And the rest (of course) is history.

It's not about how you start ... it's how you finish.

I'm not saying Mike Hopkins is going to be the next Mike Krzyzewski or anything. I'm just saying I'm willing to give the guy a chance. I'm willing to give him 5 years or so before I start to truly judge him. Just relax ... sit back ... and let his body of work speak for itself. I'm just hoping that most fans will be willing to do the same.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:00 pm
  • He got introduced today, you can see it here. Fast forward to around the 7:30 mark.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1kvJpnaedjaKE

As expected, MPJ has asked for his release. The report that said he never signed was just a rumor. He still has UW on his list, but chances of him staying are small. My guess is he follows his father, which will likely be Missouri. I think Hop has made it clear he wants guys who want to be here. I think he's focusing on keeping the two Garfield kids, which is much more realistic than keeping MPJ.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:10 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:He got introduced today, you can see it here. Fast forward to around the 7:30 mark.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1kvJpnaedjaKE

As expected, MPJ has asked for his release. The report that said he never signed was just a rumor. He still has UW on his list, but chances of him staying are small. My guess is he follows his father, which will likely be Missouri. I think Hop has made it clear he wants guys who want to be here. I think he's focusing on keeping the two Garfield kids, which is much more realistic than keeping MPJ.

I just got through watching the interview. Thanks for posting this. My immediate gut reaction after hearing Mike Hopkins speak is "WOW!" What I'm going to say here isn't logical. It isn't based upon any raw data, stats, numbers, etc. -- or any of that stuff that we as fans usually point to and debate about. BUT ... in listening to this interview with Coach Hopkins -- my mind IMMEDIATELY flashed back to Pete Carroll's very first official press conference right after he was hired by the Seahawks. In listening to Coach Hopkins speak, the amazing passion ... the energy ... the overwhelming positivity ... the determination ... the hard nosed, gritty mentality that it's clear that he possesses -- I felt like I was listening to Pete Carroll. This guy is a motivator, one heck of a salesman -- and you can tell that he truly loves coaching and honestly cares about young people. I just feel with all of the guys out there who endorse Mike Hopkins (from legendary coaches like Coach K to former NBA players) -- he is going to be successful in drawing young talented players who want to play for this guy. I just have a funny gut feeling, that the University of Washington just made a momentous game changing hire here. I feel like this is a move that we're going to be pointing back to years from now and saying, "That was the start of a real golden era in Husky Basketball."
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:20 am
  • I have no idea if this was intentional, but Porter Jr being interviewed by KING 5 right after Hopkin's press conference left a bad taste in my mouth.

I like that Hopkins hasn't spoken to the Porters yet. No program should be beholden to any one player or family.

Good luck to Missouri next year, I'm sure they'll be really good. But after all these one and done's are gone, hopefully Hopkins will have built the UW into the perennial top of the Pac 12 school that we all know it can be.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:21 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I have no idea if this was intentional, but Porter Jr being interviewed by KING 5 right after Hopkin's press conference left a bad taste in my mouth.

I like that Hopkins hasn't spoken to the Porters yet. No program should be beholden to any one player or family.

Good luck to Missouri next year, I'm sure they'll be really good. But after all these one and done's are gone, hopefully Hopkins will have built the UW into the perennial top of the Pac 12 school that we all know it can be.

Putting a call into the number 1 player in the country that's currently committed to your school is common courtesy. That's not being beholden to anyone. Giving him the cold shoulder is odd in my opinion. It's absolute ludicrous to think that Porter Jr wouldn't have a huge impact where ever he goes. Hell its been over 10 years and Hopkins makes a point to mention Carmelo Anothony...
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:30 am
  • I'll be honest, I don't want anything to do with the Porters. Just going to stunt our growth and take minutes from kids that could help us win if they develop.

Interesting that Porter hasn't taken the Missouri gig. Supposedly, he is waiting to see what happens to Romar. Lorenzo might find himself in a nice situation if Michael Porter comes as a package deal.
    Last edited by Tical21 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:37 am
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I have no idea if this was intentional, but Porter Jr being interviewed by KING 5 right after Hopkin's press conference left a bad taste in my mouth.

Putting a call into the number 1 player in the country that's currently committed to your school is common courtesy. That's not being beholden to anyone. Giving him the cold shoulder is odd in my opinion. It's absolute ludicrous to think that Porter Jr wouldn't have a huge impact where ever he goes. Hell its been over 10 years and Hopkins makes a point to mention Carmelo Anothony...

I don't see it as giving him the cold shoulder. I see it as Hopkins isn't going to change the normal protocol of arriving at a new coaching position for a 17 year old kid, no matter how good he is.

I'm sure he'll reach out to the Porter family within the week. No reason to bend over backwards for a family that already appears to be gone back home to Missouri.

I admire that sort of integrity. I like Romar, but giving a dad a sweet coaching gig in order to get his sons and other players is sorta slimey to me. I understand that's the way college sports is now, but it shouldn't be.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:45 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I have no idea if this was intentional, but Porter Jr being interviewed by KING 5 right after Hopkin's press conference left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't see it as giving him the cold shoulder. I see it as Hopkins isn't going to change the normal protocol of arriving at a new coaching position for a 17 year old kid, no matter how good he is.

I'm sure he'll reach out to the Porter family within the week. No reason to bend over backwards for a family that already appears to be gone back home to Missouri.

I admire that sort of integrity. I like Romar, but giving a dad a sweet coaching gig in order to get his sons and other players is sorta slimey to me. I understand that's the way college sports is now, but it shouldn't be.

It's a little different, slightly, because Romar is the godfather of the children and was in Porter's wedding and everything. Still a little yucky but it isn't just a random dude being brought in to get the son.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:55 am
  • Tical21 wrote:It's a little different, slightly, because Romar is the godfather of the children and was in Porter's wedding and everything. Still a little yucky but it isn't just a random dude being brought in to get the son.

I understand. It's all about the timing, Romar didn't really care to hire his longtime buddy UNTIL his kids got really good at basketball? That's hard for me to bend to as just a coincidence.

Now low and behold Mr. Porter is rumored to be hired at Missouri?

I just hate this side of college sports.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:47 am
  • Nice little short documentary put together by Bobby Jones while he was at UW. I was at that game where we beat undefeated Stanford in the last game of the season. That game put Husky basketball on the map.

Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:20 pm
  • Dickerson is transferring out. So is Atewe. Dickerson will be missed.

Porter Sr officially accepted the Missouri assistant job. I'd be shocked if his sons don't follow him.

It's going to be pretty ugly next year, may only win a game or two. I just hope we don't dig too big of a hole that it takes 3-4 years for Hop to dig out of.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:40 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:It's going to be pretty ugly next year, may only win a game or two. I just hope we don't dig too big of a hole that it takes 3-4 years for Hop to dig out of.

Probably, but I equate what's going on to when Peterson took over the football program and dismissed Marcus Peters, who was arguably the best player on the team at the time.

This is a good thing. Any great coach needs to come in, clean house, assemble his staff and then go recruit the kids that fit his style and brand of basketball.

Not desperately beg incoming recruits to stay committed clinging to the hope that they'll hang around for a year, including keeping parents on staff? Nah, that's not the mark of a great coach.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:46 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Not desperately beg incoming recruits to stay committed clinging to the hope that they'll hang around for a year, including keeping parents on staff? Nah, that's not the mark of a great coach.

You sound like John McGrath haha

But on a serious note, anyone who thinks Porter wants to be graveled to or is some primadonna doesn't have a good handle on the situation, or the kid himself. Not sure where the character assassination is stemming from. Very odd to me, and extremely uncalled for
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:52 am
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Not desperately beg incoming recruits to stay committed clinging to the hope that they'll hang around for a year, including keeping parents on staff? Nah, that's not the mark of a great coach.

You sound like John McGrath haha

But on a serious note, anyone who thinks Porter wants to be graveled to or is some primadonna doesn't have a good handle on the situation, or the kid himself. Not sure where the character assassination is stemming from. Very odd to me, and extremely uncalled for

I know he's a good kid, and he comes from a good family. I'm not disparaging his character.

But people have been all fired up that Hopkins didn't pull a hamstring getting off the plane at Seatac running to the Porter's house.

They were gone the moment Romar got fired.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:20 pm
  • And it's official now.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:30 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:And it's official now.

It should say, "I'M STAYING HOME". I will go to whatever team hires my dad :roll:
    GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!
    Wiseguy
    NET Rookie

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:52 pm
  • Well, Billy the Kid (WmH Bonney), may not think much of Daryl Gross, but his comments in today's Seattle Times are out of this world complimentary of Mike Hopkins. Here's a sampling ...

“I think the University of Washington just hit a grand slam home run.”

And:

“I just really think you’re going to see something very special in basketball for the University of Washington.”

And, finally:

“The first thing that comes to mind is the University of Washington just won the lottery. This guy is one of the rare, special coaches that you’re ever going to come across. They’re going to fall in love with Mike Hopkins. And he will win there.”

It's a great article - for those who haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it ...

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/hopkins-former-boss-says-huskies-hit-a-grand-slam/

If he lives up to what he's being billed as, the Huskies may have just landed themselves College Basketball's version of Pete Carroll ... and as we Seahawks fans know, that ain't a bad thing whatsoever. :2thumbs:
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:13 pm
  • I wish I was as optimistic as you Hawkscanner. I like everything Hop represents, but I'm worried we may dig such a big hole that he may not be able to dig out. This year is going to be a struggle. 2018 will be when Hop can start the foundation of the program. It may not be until 3-4 years from now until the team gets back to being decent. As great as a coach can be, he needs the right players. As of now, we barely even have five guys to put on the court. Last I heard, Nowell and Davis are going to ask for their release, but UW will still be one of the favorites to land them. If I had to guess, I'd say one leaves and one stays.

Dollar has been added to the staff. I really like Dollar, but makes me think Hop is striking out on his choices for assistant. A bit weird that he is getting zero pull from guys he wants. Hop really wanted Jason Hart, but USC gave him a raise to keep him. There were a few other rumors on assistants he wanted, but looks like he was unable to bring them in. So he is basically using "Romar" guys in Conroy and Dollar. Looking at it now, makes me think we should have kept Romar, this great class, and added Dollar and possibly Bone. I understand change was needed, but it looks like we may have to take 10 steps back before we can even take a step forward.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:17 pm
  • Davis has asked to be released for his LOI, Nowell is supposedly next, if he hasn't already
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:30 pm
  • Daejon Davis gone too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    danbogart
    NET Rookie

Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:40 pm
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:Davis has asked to be released for his LOI, Nowell is supposedly next, if he hasn't already

Come join the Ducks young man. I know at one point he almost commited to Oregon before e commited to UW for the 2nd time. I've heard Gonzaga is also in play.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:55 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:Davis has asked to be released for his LOI, Nowell is supposedly next, if he hasn't already

Come join the Ducks young man. I know at one point he almost commited to Oregon before e commited to UW for the 2nd time. I've heard Gonzaga is also in play.

As of this moment the smart money is on oregon
    You cheapskate."
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:07 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information